Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Biergarten Weather

Last Sunday was another beautiful fall day in Erlangen. It was sunny and warm, but not too warm. Sweater Weather! So, we decided to bike to a beer garden in a village, Adlitz, about 7 or 8 kilometers from Erlangen. And so did everyone else in Erlangen. The roads and paths through the forests and fields from Erlangen to Adlitz were packed with bikers and walkers. Everyone from the tiniest babies to the oldest Omas (grandmothers) were out and about, because winter is coming and the beer gardens will all be closing soon.

The ride itself took longer than I expected and there were more hills than I remembered. We made this trip before in 2002 and 2003, with both kids in a Burley bike trailer. This time they rode their own bikes. They tried to make it up as many hills as they could, but often they had to walk their bikes up. This gave me the excuse to get off my bike and walk too.

The struggle was worth it--the bratwurst and roasted wild boar were good and the beer was great.

Unfortunately, the weather also made me nostalgic. I always loved Chicago in October.

No comments: