Saturday, November 03, 2007

Halloween!!!


Halloween was much better this year. The boys went Trick-or-Treating this year with a friend. And a handful of kids, mostly Philip's friends, showed up at our place. Philip complained that a lot of people weren't home or weren't opening their doors, and therefore, they didn't get a lot of candy. I reminded him that in Germany many people, particularly older folks, don't celebrate Halloween (All Saints Day, November 1, however, is a public holiday) and that in Chicago we ended up throwing at least half of the candy away. They said they had fun anyway.

Actually, Halloween here reminds me of Halloween when I was a kid. With the exception of Jack-O-Lanterns, nobody decorated their homes, and we collected candy only from our immediate neighbors, the people we knew. And my mom didn't open the door every five minutes from 5 to 9.

I thought it was perfect, especially since it was a foggy night!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hi,
I found your blog when I did a search on some German traditions. My kindergartener goes to a German Immersion School here in the states, the frozen tundra of WI. :)

I think I may follow your blog as I'm helping my daughter with her immersion.

Jen