Friday, November 21, 2008

Happy 25th!


Last week, Bob celebrated 25 years with Siemens.  His boss threw him a party, to which I was also invited, that included a 4-course lunch.  Bob was asked to pick the menu, and he wisely chose the French menu--beef broth with pistachio dumplings, scallops as an appetizer, steaks for the main course and white chocolate mousse for dessert.  After lunch, there was a party in his department, and his boss made a speech, gave me flowers and sekt (German champagne), and thanked me for "renting Bob out to Siemens for 25 years."

Bob said in Chicago he would have probably received a catalog and chosen a gift that he didn't need or want. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob:

Congratulations on 25 years! Outstanding!

BR, Taras

Anonymous said...

My father retired from a Wisconsin company after 25 years and they threw him a big retirement party. All of his co-workers stood up and told stories about the years they had worked with him. The company also invited my brothers, sister, and me. So I'm not sure if all American compainies are the Aholes you make them out to be. I hate when Amercans go overseas and start acting like the US is a pile of crap and "oh aren't we so above it all over here in xyz"

vicki said...

To Anonymous,

Try reading more carefully. First of all, this was not a retirement party, but merely a 25th anniversary party, and second Siemens is not an American company, but a German company. My husband knows for a fact that Siemens in America does not throw anniversary parties, because of the 25 years he has been with Siemens, 21 were spent in the US. And if you have been following my blog, you would know that I say a lot of nice things about the US.