Monday, July 05, 2010

Happy 4th of July!

The 4th was uneventful here, except that I realized that I haven't updated my blog in a long time.



Since our biking trip around the Chiemsee, we've hiked to the Teufelstisch (Devil's Table) in the Fränkische Schweiz.



Biked around another lake, the Brombachsee, not far from Nürnberg. The Brombachsee is actually three lakes, and the largest one in smaller than the Chiemsee (about 17 km around vs. 60 km), so this was a day trip.



Of course, there was the Bergkirchweih with a new ride this year--River Rafting.

During Projektwoche (Project Week) at Alex's school, his class was learning about the USA, so I came in to talk about the elementary school system in the US, the sports kids play, and Chicago. And I had to use my broken German! I was more nervous speaking in front of a 3rd grade German class than I ever was speaking in front of college-aged Americans. Alex also gave presentations on the Empire State Building and Mt. Rushmore--he was not nervous.


Alex and his friend, Felix, played guitar during mass at the local Catholic church. This was their first public performance, and they were cool--that is, until that Sunday morning. Nevertheless, they did a great job.

We celebrated Philip's birthday at a local indoor/outdoor playground, Tucherland. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos, because they were busy running around for four hours.


And then there's been the World Cup, or Weltmeisterschaft in German. And Germany is doing quite well. Every time they win, the police close off the main streets and intersections so that people can celebrate, and celebrate they do!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were in Nuremberg on July 3rd at an Independence Day Celebration put on by the Deutsche-American Institute...of course that was the day Germany won a soccer game...you are right that they close off streets...we had a hard time getting out of Nuremeberg! Navi kept say "turn" but there was a Polizei there saying "Nein!"

Finally we decided to not tell the Navi to go home but to go to the Nuremeberg airport so we would go a different way!

-ger-sey girl

50 foot QE said...

I hope that when our daughter is old enough to go trekking and biking I will be as physically fit as you are. I guess I better get on it now!!!

Happy belated 4th fellow expatriate!
:)

vicki said...

It's the kids that keep us fit. Trust me, your daughter will keep you fit too.