Monday, January 18, 2010

My Little Cowboy

Before Christmas, Alex decided he wanted to try horseback riding, actually pony riding. So I signed him up for a class at the stable where I ride. I was so sure he wouldn't like it. My teacher expects her horses and ponies to be cleaned spotlessly before saddling, and I was so sure that Alex would hate brushing the pony's coat and picking his hooves. I was wrong. He actually enjoys cleaning his pony, and so now we go riding weekly.

His first few classes were on a longe line, but last week he rode solo. He basically went through the same exercises I do--walking and trotting around the arena, walking and trotting through a slalom course, riding in circles, etc. He hasn't tried galloping yet and a few other exercises, such as sidestepping.

The pony he rides is black with a thick, fuzzy coat and appropriately named Fussel, which means fluff. I promise to someday post a photo of Alex with Fussel, but right now I'm too nervous that the flash will frighten the pony and he'll throw Alex off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that we have reached the point where technology has become one with our society, and I am 99% certain that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory falls, the possibility of uploading our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about every once in a while.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://knol.google.com/k/anonymous/-/9v7ff0hnkzef/1]R4 SDHC[/url] DS ccPost)