Thursday, February 04, 2010

Starbucks, Erlangen

I almost walked into Erlangen's one and only Starbucks. I should add "brand new;" they opened shortly before Christmas.

And I almost walked in after going without having a Starbucks coffee for three and a half years. This was not due to lack of opportunities--Nürnberg has two that I know of, and we've seen many throughout Europe. I've just never really liked their coffee. I've always thought it tasted as if it had been overcooked and sitting in the pot all day.

I also feel some animosity toward Starbucks. Before they invaded Chicago, there were many small, independent cafes, each with its own unique atmosphere. And let's face it, if you've been in one Starbucks, you've been in them all. They, along with Seattle's Best and Caribou Coffee, drove many of these cafes out of business. In some cases directly, like when Starbucks took over Scenes Cafe on Clark and Belmont.

But I almost walked in today. Maybe their coffee is better here. And I doubt they'll close down any indigenous cafes--cafes are ubiquitous in Europe, like hot dog stands in Chicago. But as in The Exterminating Angel, I couldn't make myself cross that threshold.

2 comments:

Kali Om said...

Good for you! I agree 100 percent about the burnt taste (their chai is even worse - the chalky, oversweetened junk from a box).

I've been thinking for a couple of months now about how much I loathe corporate food, from the wilted light green lettuce at Jewel (a specialty at the Ashland/Clark location) to the bland, cardboard-y sandwiches at Subway .....

I fear that soon, it will be all that's available

Kacie said...

Yep. I worked at a truly Italian coffee shop called Torrefazzione. I heard some of the other locations around Chicago weren't great, but mine rocked, and I've been too spoiled to drink Starbucks ever since. Starbucks bought them out, so I worked for S-bucks for a few months. The good thing about them is that they really do take care of their employees. I still manage to hold a grudge though - their lattes are terrible and I can't believe they shut down Torrefazzione