Monday, June 22, 2009

Birthdays and Bonfires


Philip turned 11-years-old on Wednesday, June 17, and celebrated on Saturday with an Übernachtung (sleep-over) party. While he along with his brother and three friends destroyed our apartment, Bob, Oscar and I went to the Johannisfeuer in Spardorf, the village next door.


The Johannisfeuer is a bonfire that commemorates both the summer solstice and St. John the Baptist's feast day, June 24. And many things coming into season now are named after the saint, such as Johanniskraut (St. John's wort), Johannisbeeren (currants) and Johanniskäfer (fire flies).

4 comments:

Kali Om said...

The photos of the boys is priceless!

Sneaker Teacher said...

My husband and I are moving to Germany from Oregon in little over a month. We are hoping to find an apartment in Erlangen because I will be working at the International School. How long have you lived in Erlangen? Any tips for a 20 something couple relocating to the area? No kids yet and we don't speak German...yet, but we are trying to learn quickly.

I am beginning a blog similar to yours
www.teamtoppel.blogspot.com. Would love to hear from you!

-Katie

Anonymous said...

I am planning on moving to Germany possibly Erlangen in the next two years and would like to ask you questions. Is there any way that I can contact you via email?
Thanks so much,
Stephen
stephen.jauernig@yahoo.com

Sneaker Teacher said...

Hi Vicki,

Thanks for posting on my blog. We are planning to find a place in Erlangen and I so appreciate your invitation to join your group. That is so nice of you. We would love to get an apartment right across from FIS, but we have to continue our search once we are there since the apartments seem to get rented there really quickly and some landlords don't want to rent to foreigners. We will be in temporary housing for a bit while we look. If you have any suggestions of good places to check into let me know. Looking forward to meeting you!

Katie